From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Anyone tried a solid state drive?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:44:41
1 On Donnerstag 27 November 2008, Grant wrote:
2 > >>> I'm considering buying a solid-state drive to improve I/O performance
3 > >>> and even reduce noise. Has anyone tried this? I was considering
4 > >>> getting the lowest capacity I can find and putting most of the system
5 > >>> on it. There is a roundup on tomshardware.com and it sounds like some
6 > >>> are very much better than others. SLC sounds vastly superior compared
7 > >>> to MLC, but also much more expensive.
8 > >
9 > > Typically the reports I've read have been from people using CFcards -
10 > > 4gig is now unbelievably cheap, and CFcards talk EIDE with only a small,
11 > > cheap physical adaptor - on MythTV frontends & low-overhead servers.
12 > > CFcards look ideal for these purposes because they're quiet - you want to
13 > > minimise noise when playing back video in the living room, for instance.
14 >
15 > Great idea. If I'm only putting the main system on flash, I could use
16 > a CFcard instead of an SSD. Storing music and videos on flash will be
17 > too expensive for awhile. How does CFcard performance compare to SSD
18 > or conventional hard disk performance?
19 >
20 > - Grant
23 well, harddisks go up to what, 100mb/sec?
24 cfdisk - 18mb/sec?