From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Anyone tried a solid state drive?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:05:14
1 >>> I'm considering buying a solid-state drive to improve I/O performance
2 >>> and even reduce noise. Has anyone tried this? I was considering
3 >>> getting the lowest capacity I can find and putting most of the system
4 >>> on it. There is a roundup on tomshardware.com and it sounds like some
5 >>> are very much better than others. SLC sounds vastly superior compared
6 >>> to MLC, but also much more expensive.
7 >>>
8 > Typically the reports I've read have been from people using CFcards - 4gig
9 > is now unbelievably cheap, and CFcards talk EIDE with only a small, cheap
10 > physical adaptor - on MythTV frontends & low-overhead servers. CFcards look
11 > ideal for these purposes because they're quiet - you want to minimise noise
12 > when playing back video in the living room, for instance.
13
14 Great idea. If I'm only putting the main system on flash, I could use
15 a CFcard instead of an SSD. Storing music and videos on flash will be
16 too expensive for awhile. How does CFcard performance compare to SSD
17 or conventional hard disk performance?
18
19 - Grant