From: James <bjlockie@××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Anyone tried a solid state drive?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:44:21
1 On Thu, November 27, 2008 11:05 am, Grant wrote:
2 >>>> I'm considering buying a solid-state drive to improve I/O
3 >>>> performance and even reduce noise. Has anyone tried this? I was
4 >>>> considering getting the lowest capacity I can find and putting most
5 >>>> of the system on it. There is a roundup on tomshardware.com and it
6 >>>> sounds like some are very much better than others. SLC sounds
7 >>>> vastly superior compared to MLC, but also much more expensive.
8 >>>>
9 >> Typically the reports I've read have been from people using CFcards -
10 >> 4gig
11 >> is now unbelievably cheap, and CFcards talk EIDE with only a small,
12 >> cheap physical adaptor - on MythTV frontends & low-overhead servers.
13 >> CFcards look
14 >> ideal for these purposes because they're quiet - you want to minimise
15 >> noise when playing back video in the living room, for instance.
16 >
17 > Great idea. If I'm only putting the main system on flash, I could use
18 > a CFcard instead of an SSD. Storing music and videos on flash will be too
19 > expensive for awhile. How does CFcard performance compare to SSD or
20 > conventional hard disk performance?
21 >
22 > - Grant
23 Flash is pretty slow.
24 There are some expensive but fast SSDs out there.
25 I would wait a year or two.