From: Peter Ruskin <Peter.Ruskin@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: SOLVED [gentoo-user] Win4Lin NumLock issue
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:43:38
1 On Thursday 26 January 2006 22:41, Tom Smith wrote:
2 > Sheesh, I finally found a solution to this very annoying problem
3 > (may also help the gentleman with the UK keyboard problem (Peter
4 > Ruskin?)... I actually discovered this while playing around with
5 > QEMU, it had the EXACT same problem as WTS.
6 >
7 > The problem appears to be an X keyboard mapping issue. In my
8 > situation, the users only use the number keypad for entering
9 > numbers. So I created the following
10 >
11 > ~/.Xmodmap:
12 > keycode 79=7
13 > keycode 80=8
14 > keycode 81=9
15 > keycode 83=4
16 > keycode 84=5
17 > keycode 85=6
18 > keycode 87=1
19 > keycode 88=2
20 > keycode 89=3
21 > keycode 90=0
22 > keycode 91=period
23 > keycode 86 = plus
24 > keycode 77 =
25 >
26 > This essentially hard codes the number keypad and (theoretically)
27 > disables the Num Lock button ("keycode 77")--theoretically
28 > because the number keypad now works perfectly but only if the Num
29 > Lock LED is ON on the client side (Windows, in my case).
30 >
31 > I still don't fully understand why or how this works because the
32 > number keypad has always worked within X during a VNC session,
33 > problems arose only during a Win4Lin or QEMU session and only
34 > within those sessions.
35 >
36 OK, that works here but it's a crude workaround. I only use the
37 NumPad keys for numbers too but I don't like this solution.
38
39 My solution is to to not use Win4LinPro or qemu - you can get
40 Parallels Workstation for $49 and it's almost as good as vmware.
43 Peter
45 Gentoo Linux: Portage 2.0.54. kernel-2.6.15-gentoo-r1.
46 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+. gcc(GCC): 3.4.5.
47 KDE: 3.5.0. Qt: 3.3.4.
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list