From: Tom Smith <tom71713-gentoo52478932@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: SOLVED [gentoo-user] Win4Lin NumLock issue
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:46:21
1 Sheesh, I finally found a solution to this very annoying problem (may
2 also help the gentleman with the UK keyboard problem (Peter Ruskin?)...
3 I actually discovered this while playing around with QEMU, it had the
4 EXACT same problem as WTS.
5
6 The problem appears to be an X keyboard mapping issue. In my situation,
7 the users only use the number keypad for entering numbers. So I created
8 the following
9
10 ~/.Xmodmap:
11 keycode 79=7
12 keycode 80=8
13 keycode 81=9
14 keycode 83=4
15 keycode 84=5
16 keycode 85=6
17 keycode 87=1
18 keycode 88=2
19 keycode 89=3
20 keycode 90=0
21 keycode 91=period
22 keycode 86 = plus
23 keycode 77 =
24
25 This essentially hard codes the number keypad and (theoretically)
26 disables the Num Lock button ("keycode 77")--theoretically because the
27 number keypad now works perfectly but only if the Num Lock LED is ON on
28 the client side (Windows, in my case).
29
30 I still don't fully understand why or how this works because the number
31 keypad has always worked within X during a VNC session, problems arose
32 only during a Win4Lin or QEMU session and only within those sessions.
33
34 Anyway, thought this might help others who may be having the same or
35 similar problems.
36
37 ~ Tom
38
39 John Jolet wrote:
40
41 > that no longer exists.
42 > at least that's what I was told when I was trying to install...they
43 > said use vanilla sources and patch.
44 >