From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [~amd64] Keyboard stops working several times/day
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 05:53:48
1 walt wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16:34:08 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> walt wrote:
6 >>> Affirmative, and thereby hangs yet another woeful tale. I've been
7 >>> running the gentoo-sources-3.14.xx series forever because I wearied
8 >>> of spending so many hours debugging unstable kernels. This morning I
9 >>> decided to take a giant leap forward all the way to 3.18.19 (BTW
10 >>> 3.18.20 is already on kernel.org) because, surely, I wouldn't need
11 >>> to debug a kernel as old as that, right? Wrong. Linus and friends
12 >>> have been marking lots of existing kernel symbols with the
13 >>> SYMBOL_EXPORT_GPL macro, which was designed to block the loading of
14 >>> any kernel module not explicitly licensed as GPL software. (see
15 >>> output of modinfo) x11-drivers/ati-drivers installs a proprietary
16 >>> binary blob (as does nvidia-drivers) so the linker refused even to
17 >>> link the kernel module into a .ko file, nevermind the kernel
18 >>> actually loading the module at runtime. The remedy for ati-drivers
19 >>> is well-hidden in a comment in a gentoo bug report that I found at
20 >>> oh-dark-hundred hours this morning. Only two hours later I got the
21 >>> module installed and loaded :) But yes, kernel 3.18.19 still has my
22 >>> same keyboard halting problem, so I'm back to 3.14.50 until the
23 >>> ati-drivers package is patched. I'm sure gentoo-sources-3.18.20
24 >>> will be available almost immediately and I'm not going through that
25 >>> hell again.
26 >>
27 >> Interesting info. I haven't been able to get new kernels to work
28 >> either. I wonder if this is why. o_O
29 > I've skimmed some of your threads involving initrd (maybe raid?) but I
30 > don't participate in them because I don't use either initrd or raid so
31 > I have nothing to offer.
32 >
33 > If your problems are caused by non-loading kernel modules, though, it
34 > should be easy to find out by running modinfo -l on each kernel module.
35 >
36 > Here is the cause of my problem this morning:
37 >
38 > #modinfo -l /lib/modules/3.18.19-gentoo/video/fglrx.ko
39 > Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY
40 >
41 > BTW, I post-edited a typo I made in the text you quoted: I typed
42 > SYMBOL_EXPORT_GNU when I really meant SYMBOL_EXPORT_GPL. I could have
43 > typed SYMBOL_EXPORT_RMS because I conflate the three into one synonym :)
50 No RAID here, although it would likely be a good idea. I just have /usr
51 on a separate partition.
52
53 I build my kernels with everything built in. The only module I have is
54 Nvidia but that is one thing that doesn't work at times. Sometimes, it
55 doesn't want to boot all the way. It doesn't even get through the
56 kernel loading everything up at times.
57
58 I need to work on this some time soon. Problem is, I rarely reboot.
59 Generally, power failure is about all that will get me to
60 shutdown/reboot. Recently tho, lightening has done the job. My
61 neighbor got hit last week. Their DSL went out, blew up a outside wall
62 plug and took out my land line, tho I rarely use it either. They live
63 a quarter mile away but it sure was loud. I'm surprised that side of
64 the house still had windows. Anyway, maybe I will get around to it one
65 of these days. At least 3.18.7 is working OK.
66
67 Dale
68