From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [~amd64] Keyboard stops working several times/day
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 22:39:52
1 On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16:34:08 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > walt wrote:
5 > > Affirmative, and thereby hangs yet another woeful tale. I've been
6 > > running the gentoo-sources-3.14.xx series forever because I wearied
7 > > of spending so many hours debugging unstable kernels. This morning I
8 > > decided to take a giant leap forward all the way to 3.18.19 (BTW
9 > > 3.18.20 is already on kernel.org) because, surely, I wouldn't need
10 > > to debug a kernel as old as that, right? Wrong. Linus and friends
11 > > have been marking lots of existing kernel symbols with the
12 > > SYMBOL_EXPORT_GPL macro, which was designed to block the loading of
13 > > any kernel module not explicitly licensed as GPL software. (see
14 > > output of modinfo) x11-drivers/ati-drivers installs a proprietary
15 > > binary blob (as does nvidia-drivers) so the linker refused even to
16 > > link the kernel module into a .ko file, nevermind the kernel
17 > > actually loading the module at runtime. The remedy for ati-drivers
18 > > is well-hidden in a comment in a gentoo bug report that I found at
19 > > oh-dark-hundred hours this morning. Only two hours later I got the
20 > > module installed and loaded :) But yes, kernel 3.18.19 still has my
21 > > same keyboard halting problem, so I'm back to 3.14.50 until the
22 > > ati-drivers package is patched. I'm sure gentoo-sources-3.18.20
23 > > will be available almost immediately and I'm not going through that
24 > > hell again.
27 > Interesting info. I haven't been able to get new kernels to work
28 > either. I wonder if this is why. o_O
29
30 I've skimmed some of your threads involving initrd (maybe raid?) but I
31 don't participate in them because I don't use either initrd or raid so
32 I have nothing to offer.
33
34 If your problems are caused by non-loading kernel modules, though, it
35 should be easy to find out by running modinfo -l on each kernel module.
36
37 Here is the cause of my problem this morning:
38
39 #modinfo -l /lib/modules/3.18.19-gentoo/video/fglrx.ko
40 Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY
41
42 BTW, I post-edited a typo I made in the text you quoted: I typed
43 SYMBOL_EXPORT_GNU when I really meant SYMBOL_EXPORT_GPL. I could have
44 typed SYMBOL_EXPORT_RMS because I conflate the three into one synonym :)