From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] time for an emerge -e world?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 03:29:02
1 On 19/11/2010, at 12:57am, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 >>>
4 >>> Should I now run emerge -e world? If so, I suppose I should stop cron
5 >>> from running an emerge --sync during the night.
6 >>
7 >> I used to do the same with reiserfs, but since I borked badly a reiser4 fs I
8 >> decided it is safer to use a LiveCD for this job. So I have to say YMMV. ;-)
9 >
10 > I am not sure I understand. If I use a liveCD, won't I have to chroot
11 > to the disk with my real system? In that case can't I get the same
12 > fs breakage?
13
14 You don't have to chroot to run fsck. You can just boot from the LiveCD and run `fsck -o -p -t -i -o -n -s /dev/sda1`.
15
16 I feel a bit more confident fscking my root filesystem from a LiveCD, because you know that you're not repairing the floor you're standing on, and fsck can have full leeway to do what it needs to do to clear up the problem properly.
17
18 Stroller.