From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mpv upgrade warning
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 21:33:46
1 On 09/19/2015 12:44 PM, Dale wrote:
6 > Plus if the label is say usr, var, home or something, you have a clue
7 > what it is used for. Odds are, the one with the label home is the home
8 > partition. Then again, someone could mix them up to purposefully
9 > confuse someone I guess. :/ With UUIDs, who knows what is what there.
12 Given how much trouble it was getting grub2 to cooperate (for some
13 reason device.map was missing, and grub-install --recheck didn't rebuild
14 it) I really don't want to mess with it again trying to get labels to work.
15
16 Actually, grub2 refused to use UUIDs in the grub2-mkconfig script, even
17 when I explicitly told it to via /etc/default/grub.
18
19 I wound up having to use the PARTUUID for the root= line or the system
20 would not boot (manually, vy forcing it in /etc/default/grub.)
21
22 Oddly enough, it was only one machine out of seven so far that's had
23 this weird udev "I'm gonna swap /dev/sda for /dev/sdf for no discernable
24 reason" problem.
25
26 Dan