From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mpv upgrade warning
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 19:45:06
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 19/09/2015 20:59, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On 19 September 2015 19:55:45 BST, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> I actually forgot I posted this, was rather sleepy. I also had to
8 >> fight udev changing sda to sdf for no damn good reason, wound up
9 >> having to use UUIDs (which I've never had to use before.)
12 >> Because I'm a lazy guy, I'm using labels instead of UUIDs. They have
13 >> the advantage that I don't have to change fstab when I must replace
14 >> a disk.
15 >>
16 >> --
17 >> Regards
18 >> wabe
22 >> Strictly speaking, you don't have to do that with UUIDs as you can
23 >> change it to match the old one. That big advantage of labels is that
24 >> they are human-readable.
25 > Well I can read UUIDs, they are hex gibberish but still readable.
26 >
27 > Labels are human *understandable*
32 Plus if the label is say usr, var, home or something, you have a clue
33 what it is used for. Odds are, the one with the label home is the home
34 partition. Then again, someone could mix them up to purposefully
35 confuse someone I guess. :/ With UUIDs, who knows what is what there.
36
37 Dale
38