From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mpv upgrade warning
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 03:52:35
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > On 19/09/2015 20:59, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > >> On 19 September 2015 19:55:45 BST, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> I actually forgot I posted this, was rather sleepy. I also
10 > >> had to fight udev changing sda to sdf for no damn good reason,
11 > >> wound up having to use UUIDs (which I've never had to use before.)
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >> Because I'm a lazy guy, I'm using labels instead of UUIDs.
15 > >> They have the advantage that I don't have to change fstab when I
16 > >> must replace a disk.
17 > >>
18 > >> --
19 > >> Regards
20 > >> wabe
21 > >>
22 > >>
23 > >>
24 > >> Strictly speaking, you don't have to do that with UUIDs as you can
25 > >> change it to match the old one. That big advantage of labels is
26 > >> that they are human-readable.
27 > > Well I can read UUIDs, they are hex gibberish but still readable.
28 > >
29 > > Labels are human *understandable*
34 > Plus if the label is say usr, var, home or something, you have a clue
35 > what it is used for. Odds are, the one with the label home is the
36 > home partition. Then again, someone could mix them up to purposefully
37 > confuse someone I guess. :/ With UUIDs, who knows what is what
38 > there.
39
40 That's also an advantage of labels. It's the same thing with domainnames
41 and IP addresses. For most people, words are easier to remember than
42 numbers. Of course this depends on the words which are used. An URL like
43
44 http://www.vatnajokulsthjodgardur.is
45
46 is probably harder to remember than the belonging IP address. At least
47 for non Icelanders. :-)
50 Regards