From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing how secure a server is...
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:20:46
1 On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 23:50 +0000, Raphael Melo de Oliveira Bastos Sales
2 wrote:
3 > Hi there,
4 >
5 > I was wondering what tools should I use to detect security flaws to
6 > my server and a few tips on how to use them. What are the most common
7 > forms of attack and how do I avoid being attacked by one of them?
8 >
9 > The services avaliable are only Apache - SSL and SSH. I've
10 > installed an firewall, iptables and firestarter to control it, and
11 > blocked all ports except 443 and 8080, where the SSH is listening.
12 > Apache has PHP installed as a module.
13 >
14 > Thanks for the attention,
15 >
16 > Raphael.
17
18 I have port knocking installed on firewall, to further protect any SSH
19 attacks.
20 So port 22 is closed (in stealth mode) and only opens if it received the
21 right knock sequence, moreover it is only opened to an IP address from
22 which received successful knock sequence; all others see this port as
23 closed (in stealth mode).
26 #Joseph
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list