From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Again on hdd recognition. It's seen but no fdisk
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 02:16:20
1 Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 >> When booted up under gentoo, fdisk does not see this disk and complains
4 >> of not being able to open /dev/hdc/ There is no /dev/hdc. The
5 >> symlink was not created. Further the name gentoo uses of the form:
6 >>
7 >> ls -l /dev/hdb lrw [...] /dev/hdb -> ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc
8 >>
9 >> One would expect an ide/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/disc for /dev/hdc
10 >>
11 >> How are these created? What is likely the cause of it not happening
12 >> by default?
13 >
14 > Names of this form can only be created by devfs (or a seriously
15 > customized udev install). Are you still using devfs, and if so,
16 > why???
17
18 Probably out of sheer stupidity... Does it have something to do with
19 the disk not being seen by fdisk?
20
21 Actually it is something of a mute point now ... I decided to do a
22 fresh install from (recent) gentoo minimal cd. I see already that at
23 least the install OS has spotted and configured my new HDD.
24
25 Do I need to do anything special to use udev? I see the install OS is
26 using it.
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list