From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Again on hdd recognition. It's seen but no fdisk
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 01:50:30
1 On 12/7/05, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm adding a 300GB hdd to a older P4 with intel D850MV mobo
3 >
4 > Running updated box as of 2 days ago. On bios inspection, this drive
5 > appears to be properly recognized, size etc.
6 >
7 > On bootup the dmesg record shows it being seen and recognized
8 > (hdc in this output). You may notice it is already partitioned and
9 > the partitions are recognized too. I did that from a knoppix session
10 > with fdisk. (On this same box) so knoppix was able to see and
11 > partition it.
12 >
13 > When booted up under gentoo, fdisk does not see this disk and complains
14 > of not being able to open /dev/hdc/ There is no /dev/hdc. The
15 > symlink was not created. Further the name gentoo uses of the form:
16 >
17 > ls -l /dev/hdb lrw [...] /dev/hdb -> ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc
18 >
19 > One would expect an ide/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/disc for /dev/hdc
20 >
21 > How are these created? What is likely the cause of it not happening
22 > by default?
23
24 Names of this form can only be created by devfs (or a seriously
25 customized udev install). Are you still using devfs, and if so,
26 why???
27
28 -Richard
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list