From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying data efficiently
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 07:59:17
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [14-05-17 09:48]:
2 > On Saturday 17 May 2014 04:33:57 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > is there any tool in the Gentoo portage which may speed up (make it
6 > > mopre efficient) the following task:
7 > >
8 > > On my HD there are data I want to copy to two identical external HDs.
9 > > These HDs are of the same type/model and each is separately
10 > > connectable via USB to my PC (...these two of the typical mobile external
11 > > USB-HDs).
12 > >
13 > > Instead of copying the data twice from my PC to eah of the HDs I want
14 > > to do it once...like I would be able to give the cp-command two
15 > > instead of one target where to copy two.
16 > >
17 > > The result should be two identically populated external HDs, each of
18 > > them useable/readable without the need to the other one.
19 > >
20 > > What tool of the portage tree I able to accomplish this task?
21 > >
22 > > Best regards,
23 > > mcc
26 > 1. You could set up the two ext drives as a mirrored RAID and use your
27 > copying/tar-ing/dd tool of choice.
30 > 2. Or you could use pipe and tee to split the feed into any devices you want,
31 > e.g.:
32 >
33 > pv /dev/sda1 | tee >(dd of=/dev/sdb1) >(dd of=/dev/sdc1)
36 > 3. Or you could use a sequential copy:
37 >
38 > cp -a /home /dev/sdb1/ && cp -a /home /dev/sdc1
41 > NOTES:
42 >
43 > a) Unlike other commands, pv will give you a progress bar so that you know how
44 > long your back up is taking.
45 >
46 > b) The 3rd example above will copy sequentially, but depending on the size of
47 > the file(s) the second copy may be read from cache.
48 >
49 > c) If you're doing this over the network then you can use nc in listening mode
50 > at the receiving end, or ssh if the network is untrusted.
53 > I'm interested to see what other ways will be suggested for this task.
54 >
55 > --
56 > Regards,
57 > Mick
58
59 Hi Mick,
60
61 thank your reply! :)
62
63 From your numbering of the possibilities...
64 1.) ...I am no RAID guru and would try this later with data, which
65 are not valuable...
66 2.) That looks interesting! Unfortunately it seems to copy device
67 contents on low level instead of files. The source are directory
68 structure -- not whole devices...
69 Or did I overlook an option mentioned in the manpage...?
70 3.) The files I want to copy are in the size of some GB each. So the
71 cache isnt big enough to hold ALL files for the second part.
74 Best regards,
75 mcc