From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dev-python/isodate breaks my emerge because it's at EAPI?
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 12:55:32
1 On 8/6/21 2:37 PM, n952162 wrote:
2 > On 8/6/21 2:16 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 2:03 AM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
4 >>> Well, what you say is likely true, but does "old software" really need
5 >>> to be kept working?  Couldn't problems necessarily  only be dealt with
6 >>> in the newest versions?
7 >>>
8 >> I think you are misunderstanding what actually went wrong in your
9 >> situation.  Nothing broke in your existing software.
10 >>
11 >> You're using an old version of portage.  It will continue to work as
12 >> it always has.
13 >>
14 >> However, you wanted to use it with a newer version of the software
15 >> repository.  This contained a package that wasn't compatible with old
16 >> versions of portage.  The version of portage you're using detected
17 >> this, and refused to install it, so as to not randomly break your
18 >> system.  Your system continued to work as it always had.  You just
19 >> couldn't install that particular package, or anything that depends on
20 >> it.
23 > I think that doesn't characterize my point quite.
24 >
25 > I was complaining, mostly, that isodate had to be the thing that was
26 > incompatible with my configuration.  Maybe there is a unavoidable reason
27 > that that package had to move to the newest EAPI, or maybe it was just a
28 > sense that it's cool to be with the cutting edge.  It seems to me that
29 > isodate (which is actually tied, perhaps indirectly, to clearly slow
30 > United Nations rule-making) must be pretty stable.
34 >> Generally we try to maintain a reasonably sane upgrade path going back
35 >> maybe six months or so.  You just needed to update portage first.
38 > My update was two months late.
42 >> If your system is more than a month or two out of date just running
43 >> emerge -uD world or whatever blindly is more likely to run into a
44 >> problem.  It shouldn't break your system unless you go adding random
45 >> options to the command line to override safety features,
48 > I don't have the expertise to do something like that.
52 >> but it might
53 >> involve a few steps (like updating portage, @system, and so on before
54 >> trying to update everything).
57 >> It usually isn't unmanageable, but Gentoo is definitely not an
58 >> LTS-oriented distro.  If you want to only get security fixes for three
59 >> years and then update everything in one go, then stick with something
60 >> like RHEL, Ubuntu LTS, or debian stable.  Those distros deliver
61 >> exactly that sort of experience, and really there isn't as much
62 >> benefit to something like Gentoo if you're just going to update it
63 >> every other year anyway.
66 > Those distros are not source distros.  I'm making an argument that
67 > there's a large space between binary distributions and source
68 > distributions that pass every upstream change down in realtime. Gentoo
69 > is in the best position to service that space
74 I see that that begs the question of why someone would be interested in
75 a source distribution.
76
77 With a binary distribution, you fly on trust.  With a source
78 distribution, you do, too, given the size of the code base.
79
80 The difference is, with a source distribution, there's a "paper trail"
81 that can be followed back if that trust was abused.
82
83 That's just about impossible with a binary distro.