From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dev-python/isodate breaks my emerge because it's at EAPI?
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 12:39:56
1 On 8/6/21 2:16 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 2:03 AM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> Well, what you say is likely true, but does "old software" really need
4 >> to be kept working? Couldn't problems necessarily only be dealt with
5 >> in the newest versions?
6 >>
7 > I think you are misunderstanding what actually went wrong in your
8 > situation. Nothing broke in your existing software.
9 >
10 > You're using an old version of portage. It will continue to work as
11 > it always has.
12 >
13 > However, you wanted to use it with a newer version of the software
14 > repository. This contained a package that wasn't compatible with old
15 > versions of portage. The version of portage you're using detected
16 > this, and refused to install it, so as to not randomly break your
17 > system. Your system continued to work as it always had. You just
18 > couldn't install that particular package, or anything that depends on
19 > it.
22 I think that doesn't characterize my point quite.
23
24 I was complaining, mostly, that isodate had to be the thing that was
25 incompatible with my configuration.  Maybe there is a unavoidable reason
26 that that package had to move to the newest EAPI, or maybe it was just a
27 sense that it's cool to be with the cutting edge.  It seems to me that
28 isodate (which is actually tied, perhaps indirectly, to clearly slow
29 United Nations rule-making) must be pretty stable.
33 > Generally we try to maintain a reasonably sane upgrade path going back
34 > maybe six months or so. You just needed to update portage first.
37 My update was two months late.
41 > If your system is more than a month or two out of date just running
42 > emerge -uD world or whatever blindly is more likely to run into a
43 > problem. It shouldn't break your system unless you go adding random
44 > options to the command line to override safety features,
47 I don't have the expertise to do something like that.
51 > but it might
52 > involve a few steps (like updating portage, @system, and so on before
53 > trying to update everything).
56 > It usually isn't unmanageable, but Gentoo is definitely not an
57 > LTS-oriented distro. If you want to only get security fixes for three
58 > years and then update everything in one go, then stick with something
59 > like RHEL, Ubuntu LTS, or debian stable. Those distros deliver
60 > exactly that sort of experience, and really there isn't as much
61 > benefit to something like Gentoo if you're just going to update it
62 > every other year anyway.
65 Those distros are not source distros.  I'm making an argument that
66 there's a large space between binary distributions and source
67 distributions that pass every upstream change down in realtime. Gentoo
68 is in the best position to service that space