From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dev-python/isodate breaks my emerge because it's at EAPI?
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 12:16:38
1 On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 2:03 AM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, what you say is likely true, but does "old software" really need
4 > to be kept working? Couldn't problems necessarily only be dealt with
5 > in the newest versions?
8 I think you are misunderstanding what actually went wrong in your
9 situation. Nothing broke in your existing software.
10
11 You're using an old version of portage. It will continue to work as
12 it always has.
13
14 However, you wanted to use it with a newer version of the software
15 repository. This contained a package that wasn't compatible with old
16 versions of portage. The version of portage you're using detected
17 this, and refused to install it, so as to not randomly break your
18 system. Your system continued to work as it always had. You just
19 couldn't install that particular package, or anything that depends on
20 it.
21
22 Generally we try to maintain a reasonably sane upgrade path going back
23 maybe six months or so. You just needed to update portage first.
24
25 If your system is more than a month or two out of date just running
26 emerge -uD world or whatever blindly is more likely to run into a
27 problem. It shouldn't break your system unless you go adding random
28 options to the command line to override safety features, but it might
29 involve a few steps (like updating portage, @system, and so on before
30 trying to update everything).
31
32 It usually isn't unmanageable, but Gentoo is definitely not an
33 LTS-oriented distro. If you want to only get security fixes for three
34 years and then update everything in one go, then stick with something
35 like RHEL, Ubuntu LTS, or debian stable. Those distros deliver
36 exactly that sort of experience, and really there isn't as much
37 benefit to something like Gentoo if you're just going to update it
38 every other year anyway.
41 Rich