From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dev-python/isodate breaks my emerge because it's at EAPI?
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 18:22:29
1 On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 8:37 AM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > I was complaining, mostly, that isodate had to be the thing that was
4 > incompatible with my configuration. Maybe there is a unavoidable reason
5 > that that package had to move to the newest EAPI, or maybe it was just a
6 > sense that it's cool to be with the cutting edge. It seems to me that
7 > isodate (which is actually tied, perhaps indirectly, to clearly slow
8 > United Nations rule-making) must be pretty stable.
11 it is generally encouraged that packages use the latest EAPI - there
12 are a lot of reasons for doing so. The main ones that get held back
13 are packages that would interfere with updating portage and the
14 toolchain, since those are what are most needed when somebody does an
15 update.
16
17 All you need to do in order to resolve an incompatible EAPI issue is
18 update portage. We don't really provide support for running
19 out-of-date versions of portage itself. There really isn't much
20 reason to run an old version of portage - it is unlikely that updating
21 portage is going to cause incompatibilities on your system as almost
22 nothing uses portage except the distribution itself.
23
24 It might not hurt if that error message included the suggestion to run
25 "emerge -u portage" to update it. It does say that the solution is to
26 update portage - it just doesn't explicitly tell you how to do so.
29 > Those distros are not source distros. I'm making an argument that
30 > there's a large space between binary distributions and source
31 > distributions that pass every upstream change down in realtime. Gentoo
32 > is in the best position to service that space
35 There may be a nice for a release-based source-based distribution, and
36 nothing is stopping anybody from adding releases to Gentoo (a trivial
37 way to do this would be to just fork the repository and update it in
38 releases). I just don't think there is THAT much interest among the
39 community in doing so, and even if such a thing were created I'm
40 pretty skeptical that they wouldn't at least keep portage and the
41 EAPIs cutting-edge, as it doesn't really hurt anything to do so.
42
43 If you want to kick something like that off though feel free. All you
44 need to do is clone the Gentoo repository, and use some
45 branches/tags/etc to manage it. You could pull in whatever you want
46 in whatever branch you want, and curate releases. Really the only
47 hard part would be the curation and QA. If you wanted somebody to run
48 the CI tools against your repo and file bugs for you I wouldn't be
49 surprised if infra was willing to do so. It would still be a fair bit
50 of work, and I'm really skeptical that it would get much use.
51
52 To address your follow-up email, many popular binary distros have been
53 working on reproducible builds, so if your main concern is fear of
54 what might be bundled inside packages, I'd think that would mitigate a
55 lot of it.
58 Rich