From: Matthias Bethke <Matthias.Bethke@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions on partitioning HD
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:45:32
1 Hi Dave,
2 on Thursday, 2005-10-13 at 13:50:53, you wrote:
3 > The root partition is your key to accessing your box. You basically want to
4 > have only static files on the root partition, not files that are in a general
5 > state of flux.
6
7 ACK. This will also keep fragmentation down and thus performance up.
8 For Gentoo, it may be a good idea to put portage stuff on a separate
9 partition because it uses tens of thousands of small files that provoke
10 fragmentation. On my laptop I have one partition with two directories
11 usr-portage and var-cache-edb that are symlinked to the respective
12 places in the root FS.
13
14 regards
15 Matthias
18 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: 90CF8389
19 Fingerprint: 8E1F 1081 A466 2946 B98A B9E2 099F 3B91