From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions on partitioning HD
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:55:50
1 On Thursday 13 October 2005 12:52 pm, Michael Crute wrote:
2 > I have a 120GB drive with a 32M /boot a /10 GB / and the rest of the disk
3 > dedicated to /home. The setup works wonderfully for me.
4
5 Ah, but it is a disaster waiting to happen. If you fill your root partition
6 you'll have difficulty getting back into the box (you'll need your live cd to
7 chroot into your system and clean out the disk).
8
9 How can something like this happen? Syslog filling up /var/log. An influx of
10 spam filling /var/spool/mail. Never cleaning /usr/portage/distfiles but
11 continually downloading package updates.
12
13 The root partition is your key to accessing your box. You basically want to
14 have only static files on the root partition, not files that are in a general
15 state of flux.
16 --
17 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list