From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The LIGHTEST web server (just for serving files)?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:19:57
1 Its been solved in the past ... designed for just this purpose:
2
3 moriah ~ # esearch http-replicator
4 [ Results for search key : http-replicator ]
5 [ Applications found : 1 ]
6
7 * net-proxy/http-replicator
8 Latest version available: 3.0-r2
9 Latest version installed: 3.0-r2
10 Size of downloaded files: 38 kB
11 Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/http-replicator
13 License: GPL-2
16 moriah ~ #
17
18 I chain them together (two levels, avoiding expensive download costs) so
19 the remote site doesnt have it in its cache, upstream is the master
20 cache, which if it doesnt have it will fetch from the repo. You can
21 specify what port it runs on, and then use the http_proxy entry in
22 make.conf to point the clients to it thus avoiding port 80 and any
23 existing webserver. Handles concurrent fetches transparently. Overall, I
24 have found it preferable to NFS which has been a bit flaky at times in
25 the past.
26
27 Recommended!
30 BillK