From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The LIGHTEST web server (just for serving files)?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 22:02:32
1 On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 19:40:08 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2
3 > During my drive home, something hit my brain: why not have the 'master'
4 > server share the distfiles dir via NFS?
5
6 No reason at all, I've been doing it for years without a single
7 problem.
8
9 > So, the question now becomes: what's the drawback/benefit of
10 > NFS-sharing vs HTTP-sharing? The scenario is back-end LAN at the
11 > office, thus, a trusted network by definition.
12
13 The benefit is that everything is centralised. With an HTTP proxy, you
14 still have to download from the server to each client. The only drawback
15 that I experience is that if several packages use the same, large source
16 file, as so many of the KDE packages do, you are repeatedly pulling the
17 same file over the network, which is a little slower.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Keyboard: (n.) a device used by programmers to write software for a mouse
24 or joystick and by operators for playing games such as 'word processing.'