From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb1 performance out of usb2 external HD
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:53:21
1 On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:06:50 -0700, Trenton Adams wrote:
2
3 > Actually, that's a good point. All that writing to the FAT would use
4 > those flash blocks a lot, which would indeed wear it out.
5
6 I trashed a Crucial 1GB drive in a few weeks, until I found out about
7 this change.
8
9 > Windows does sync by default as well. But, it's sync is extremely
10 > fast for some reason.
11
12 It's not whether it does sync be default, that is down you your
13 (auto)mounter, nothing to do with the kernel. The change is that in sync
14 mode, the kernel used to update the FAT after each file, now it does it
15 after each block. That's why it is so slow and destructive.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Top Oxymorons Number 44: Advanced BASIC