From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb1 performance out of usb2 external HD
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:01:32
1 >>Actually, that's a good point. All that writing to the FAT would use
2 >>those flash blocks a lot, which would indeed wear it out.
5 > I trashed a Crucial 1GB drive in a few weeks, until I found out about
6 > this change.
7
8 I think this problem should find its way in the official Gentoo docs (if
9 it isn't already there). It affects all recent Linux distros anyway.
10 It's quite crucial -trashing usb flash drives is NOT good marketing for
11 our beloved penguin.
12
13 Anyone knows if on the LKML the devs gave some opinion about this side
14 effect?
15
16 m.
17 --