From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compiling for an unbooted kernel
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 06:19:57
1 On 9 Oct 2008, at 19:32, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [08-10-09 20:31]:
3 >> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I am using a nvidia card for linux. Therefore I have to compile the
7 >>> nvidia driver interface for each new vanilla kernel I want to
8 >>> use.
9 >>> After compiling/installing the new kernel, the "old" kernel is
10 >>> still running.
11 >>> Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
12 >>> the new kernel while the old one is still running?
13 >>>
14 >>> Would save me one reboot...
15 >>
16 >> I always do that and never had a problem. eselect to set new kernel
17 >> version, make & install the new kernel, emerge packages containing
18 >> modules, reboot. Works for me.
19 >
20 > sorry, I missed to say, that I am using the vanilla kernel from
21 > ftp.kernel.org. I am not using the gentoo kernel sources...
22
23 The only difference I can see that this makes is that the `eselect`
24 might not work if you've installed the sources manually. I doubt it,
25 but to be on the safe side use the vanilla kernel from ftp.kernel.org
26 by using the `emerge sys-kernel/vanilla-sources` command.
27
28 Stroller.