From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compiling for an unbooted kernel
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:34:28
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [08-10-09 20:31]:
2 > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I am using a nvidia card for linux. Therefore I have to compile the
6 > > nvidia driver interface for each new vanilla kernel I want to
7 > > use.
8 > > After compiling/installing the new kernel, the "old" kernel is
9 > > still running.
10 > > Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
11 > > the new kernel while the old one is still running?
12 > >
13 > > Would save me one reboot...
14 >
15 > I always do that and never had a problem. eselect to set new kernel
16 > version, make & install the new kernel, emerge packages containing
17 > modules, reboot. Works for me.
18 >
19 > Paul
22 Hi Paul,
23
24 sorry, I missed to say, that I am using the vanilla kernel from
25 ftp.kernel.org. I am not using the gentoo kernel sources...
26
27 keep hacking!
28 mcc
31 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
32 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
33 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
34 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.