From: Sascha Hlusiak <saschahlusiak@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: meino.cramer@×××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compiling for an unbooted kernel
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:39:36
1 meino.cramer@×××.de schrieb:
2 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [08-10-09 20:31]:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>>
8 >>> I am using a nvidia card for linux. Therefore I have to compile the
9 >>> nvidia driver interface for each new vanilla kernel I want to
10 >>> use.
11 >>> After compiling/installing the new kernel, the "old" kernel is
12 >>> still running.
13 >>> Is it possible -- and how -- to compile/install this interface for
14 >>> the new kernel while the old one is still running?
15 >>>
16 >>> Would save me one reboot...
17 >>>
18 >> I always do that and never had a problem. eselect to set new kernel
19 >> version, make & install the new kernel, emerge packages containing
20 >> modules, reboot. Works for me.
21 >>
22 >> Paul
26 > Hi Paul,
27 >
28 > sorry, I missed to say, that I am using the vanilla kernel from
29 > ftp.kernel.org. I am not using the gentoo kernel sources...
30 >
31 Just keep your /usr/src/linux link pointing to the kernel you want to
32 use and then emerge nvidia-drivers. It will pick up the link and compile
33 the module for that kernel.
34
35 - Sascha