From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: btrfs fails to balance
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:08:13
1 Bill Kenworthy <billk <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
4 > > The main thing keeping me away from CephFS is that it has no mechanism
5 > > for resolving silent corruption. Btrfs underneath it would obviously
6 > > help, though not for failure modes that involve CephFS itself. I'd
7 > > feel a lot better if CephFS had some way of determining which copy was
8 > > the right one other than "the master server always wins."
11 The "Giant" version 0.87 is a major release with many new fixes;
12 it may have the features you need. Currently the ongoing releases are
13 up to : v0.91. The readings look promissing, but I'll agree it
14 needs to be tested with non-critical data.
15
16 http://ceph.com/docs/master/release-notes/#v0-87-giant
17
18 http://ceph.com/docs/master/release-notes/#notable-changes
21 > Forget ceph on btrfs for the moment - the COW kills it stone dead after
22 > real use. When running a small handful of VMs on a raid1 with ceph -
23 > sloooooooooooow :)
24
25 I'm staying away from VMs. It's spark on top of mesos I'm after. Maybe
26 docker or another container solution, down the road.
27
28 I read where some are using a SSD with raid 1 and bcache to speed up
29 performance and stability a bit. I do not want to add SSD to the mix right
30 now, as the (3) node development systems all have 32 G of ram.
34 > You can turn off COW and go single on btrfs to speed it up but bugs in
35 > ceph and btrfs lose data real fast!
36
37 Interesting idea, since I'll have raid1 underneath each node. I'll need to
38 dig into this idea a bit more.
41 > ceph itself (my last setup trashed itself 6 months ago and I've given
42 > up!) will only work under real use/heavy loads with lots of discrete
43 > systems, ideally 10G network, and small disks to spread the failure
44 > domain. Using 3 hosts and 2x2g disks per host wasn't near big enough :(
45 > Its design means that small scale trials just wont work.
46
47 Huh. My systems are FX8350 (8)processors running at 4GHz with 32 G ram.
48 Water coolers will allow me to crank up the speed (when/if needed) to
49 5 or 6 GHz. Not intel but low end either.
52 > Its not designed for small scale/low end hardware, no matter how
53 > attractive the idea is :(
54
55 Supposedly there are tool to measure/monitor ceph better now. That is
56 one of the things I need to research. How to manage the small cluster
57 better and back off the throughput/load while monitoring performance
58 on a variety of different tasks. Definitely not a production usage.
59
60 I certainly appreciate your ceph_experiences. I filed a but with the
61 version request for Giant v0.87. Did your run the 9999 version ?
62 What versions did you experiment with?
63
64 I hope to set up Anisble to facilitate rapid installations of a variety
65 of gentoo systems used for cluster or ceph testing. That way configurations
66 should be able to "reboot" after bad failures. Did your experienced
67 failures with Ceph require the gentoo-btrfs based systems to be complete
68 reinstalled from scratch, or just purge the disk of Ceph and reconfigure Ceph?
69
70 I'm hoping to "configure ceph" in such a way that failures do not corrupt
71 the gentoo-btrfs installation and only require repair to ceph; so your
72 comments on that strategy are most welcome.
77 > BillK
80 James