From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: btrfs fails to balance
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 02:58:10
1 On 20/01/15 05:10, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Bill Kenworthy <billk <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
4 >>
5 >> I was wondering what my /etc/fstab should look like using uuids, raid 1 and
6 >> btrfs.
7 >
8 > From mine:
9 > /dev/disk/by-uuid/7d9f3772-a39c-408b-9be0-5fa26eec8342 /
10 > btrfs noatime,ssd,compress=none
11 > /dev/disk/by-uuid/cd074207-9bc3-402d-bee8-6a8c77d56959 /data
12 > btrfs noatime,compress=none
13 >
14 > The first is a single disk, the second is 5-drive raid1.
15 >
16 > I disabled compression due to some bugs a few kernels ago. I need to
17 > look into whether those were fixed - normally I'd use lzo.
18 >
19 > I use dracut - obviously you need to use some care when running root
20 > on a disk identified by uuid since this isn't a kernel feature. With
21 > btrfs as long as you identify one device in an array it will find the
22 > rest. They all have the same UUID though.
23 >
24 > Probably also worth nothing that if you try to run btrfs on top of lvm
25 > and then create an lvm snapshot btrfs can cause spectacular breakage
26 > when it sees two devices whose metadata identify them as being the
27 > same - I don't know where it went but there was talk of trying to use
28 > a generation id/etc to keep track of which ones are old vs recent in
29 > this scenario.
32 >> Eventually, I want to run CephFS on several of these raid one btrfs
33 >> systems for some clustering code experiments. I'm not sure how that
34 >> will affect, if at all, the raid 1-btrfs-uuid setup.
37 > Btrfs would run below CephFS I imagine, so it wouldn't affect it at all.
38 >
39 > The main thing keeping me away from CephFS is that it has no mechanism
40 > for resolving silent corruption. Btrfs underneath it would obviously
41 > help, though not for failure modes that involve CephFS itself. I'd
42 > feel a lot better if CephFS had some way of determining which copy was
43 > the right one other than "the master server always wins."
46 Forget ceph on btrfs for the moment - the COW kills it stone dead after
47 real use. When running a small handful of VMs on a raid1 with ceph -
48 sloooooooooooow :)
49
50 You can turn off COW and go single on btrfs to speed it up but bugs in
51 ceph and btrfs lose data real fast!
52
53 ceph itself (my last setup trashed itself 6 months ago and I've given
54 up!) will only work under real use/heavy loads with lots of discrete
55 systems, ideally 10G network, and small disks to spread the failure
56 domain. Using 3 hosts and 2x2g disks per host wasn't near big enough :(
57 Its design means that small scale trials just wont work.
58
59 Its not designed for small scale/low end hardware, no matter how
60 attractive the idea is :(
61
62 BillK