From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: btrfs fails to balance
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 21:10:49
1 On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Bill Kenworthy <billk <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
3 >
4 > I was wondering what my /etc/fstab should look like using uuids, raid 1 and
5 > btrfs.
6
7 From mine:
8 /dev/disk/by-uuid/7d9f3772-a39c-408b-9be0-5fa26eec8342 /
9 btrfs noatime,ssd,compress=none
10 /dev/disk/by-uuid/cd074207-9bc3-402d-bee8-6a8c77d56959 /data
11 btrfs noatime,compress=none
12
13 The first is a single disk, the second is 5-drive raid1.
14
15 I disabled compression due to some bugs a few kernels ago. I need to
16 look into whether those were fixed - normally I'd use lzo.
17
18 I use dracut - obviously you need to use some care when running root
19 on a disk identified by uuid since this isn't a kernel feature. With
20 btrfs as long as you identify one device in an array it will find the
21 rest. They all have the same UUID though.
22
23 Probably also worth nothing that if you try to run btrfs on top of lvm
24 and then create an lvm snapshot btrfs can cause spectacular breakage
25 when it sees two devices whose metadata identify them as being the
26 same - I don't know where it went but there was talk of trying to use
27 a generation id/etc to keep track of which ones are old vs recent in
28 this scenario.
31 > Eventually, I want to run CephFS on several of these raid one btrfs
32 > systems for some clustering code experiments. I'm not sure how that
33 > will affect, if at all, the raid 1-btrfs-uuid setup.
36 Btrfs would run below CephFS I imagine, so it wouldn't affect it at all.
37
38 The main thing keeping me away from CephFS is that it has no mechanism
39 for resolving silent corruption. Btrfs underneath it would obviously
40 help, though not for failure modes that involve CephFS itself. I'd
41 feel a lot better if CephFS had some way of determining which copy was
42 the right one other than "the master server always wins."
45 Rich