From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:42:34
1 Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 06:32:58AM +0100, Penguin Lover Volker Armin Hemmann squawked:
3 >
4 >> and what is the advantage? Why do you keep your computer running, wasting
5 >> energy? Is there any good reason?
8 > I travel a lot. It is convenient to have a server to serve my e-mail
9 > and personal files. There are certain (financial/identification/etc.)
10 > documents that I would prefer not store on someone else's server.
11 >
12 > And considering the intrusive border checks now that US is
13 > implementing, I would also prefer not to have those files on my laptop
14 > or on a thumbdrive.
15 >
16 > Besides, it also is a in-facing file/print server for the family LAN,
17 > so not having to keep turning it off and on is rather convenient.
18 >
19 > You may disagree, but considering that the box is almost 10 years old
20 > and doesn't actually use all that much power idling, for the moment
21 > being I think it is acceptable.
22 >
23 > Cheers,
24 >
25 > W
29 And some would also argue that cycling power on and off is actually bad
30 for the rig as well. Keeping things at a constant temp is better than
31 fluctuating temps. The old expanding and contracting of material
32 argument. Sort of strange that computers that run a lot last a loooong
33 time.
34
35 Dale
36