From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 06:39:01
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Monday, August 17, 2020 3:33 PM, Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > How many concurrent users will be connected to the mail server? How much traffic
5 > will the S.M.T.P. server receive (read: how many e-mails arrive on a daily
6 > basis)? If you really don't trust your V.P.S. provider, and your mail server is
7 > small-ish, you could just skip all the trust issues and buy a cheap Raspberry Pi
8 > for £20 or so.
9
10 1 user (me). about 2 real daily mails. maybe 10
11 in peak times. that, plus gentoo's users list,
12 plus spam. but i don't see much spammers in
13 protonmail's spambox. so i guess my spam is low.
14
15 > Running a mail server over a domestic connection presents some issues, such as
16 > dynamic I.P. ranges appearing in the Spamhaus blocklist, or some tyrannicalesque
17 > I.S.P.s blocking outbound port 25 (S.M.T.P. submission port), but it is possible
18 > to have a smooth, self-administered mail server, providing you can put in the
19 > time and effort. I have been doing it myself for a few years with Courier and
20 > Postfix (although I wouldn't recommend Courier; Dovecot is far superior).
21 >
22 > What do you think?
23
24 interesting. do you have reverse ptr records for
25 your domain name pointing to your home's ip? did
26 you pay extra fees for this ptr to your isp?
27
28 i wonder if price-wise, and uptime-wise, that
29 would beat a cheap vps at 20 bucks/year.