From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting everything
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 14:28:29
1 Dirk Heinrichs writes:
2
3 > Am Samstag 04 Juli 2009 14:51:54 schrieb Alex Schuster:
4 > > Dirk Heinrichs writes:
5 > > > having said that, you can even do w/o
6 > > > initramfs, just put everything into /boot (which should be a separate
7 > > > partition, then). Again, see my reply to David for the details.
8 > >
9 > > Interesting. Getting rid of initramfs looks like a simpler approach, no
10 > > need to fiddle with cpio in order to change things.
11 >
12 > Also with initramfs, you don't need to fiddle with cpio. The kernel build
13 > system does this for you.
14
15 Right. But at my first attempts I had some problems, and investigated them
16 by looking into /init in the initramfs. In order to understand this stuff, I
17 need to see it :)
20 > > I do not want to have to enter a password every time my machine boots,
21 > > so I put the key onto a stick.
22 >
23 > And how do you protect the key on the stick? What if you loose it?
24
25 It's a long sentence from The Hichhiker's Guide To The Galaxy I can find
26 again. And meanwhile I also have a gpg-encrypted backup of the stick's
27 partition somewhere.
30 > > And simply made it the same for all
31 > > partitions. And while I was at it, for maximum security, I also put
32 > > /boot onto the stick. Sure, who would ever break into my house and
33 > > modify my boot partition, replacing the kernel with kernel+keylogger or
34 > > such... but then, I would probably also not need to encrypt my stuff at
35 > > all.
36 >
37 > Encryption doesn't protect a _running_ system, because then, all needed
38 > LVs are readable.
39
40 By me only. And when I leave, the screensaver kicks in and asks for a
41 password.
42
43 > It only protects the system while switched of (so that
44 > an attacker can not acces your data after stealing the entire system, or
45 > after you sold your harddisk).
46
47 Right.
48
49 > > > Then you did something wrong. It works out of the box.
50 > >
51 > > Really? I know it does for root and swap (it works here), but how do I
52 > > tell the system to also luskOpen all my other LVM volumes?
53 >
54 > By listing them in /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt.
55
56 Oh, thanks. I overlooked this. Did not find this mentioned in any of the
57 guides I read, and I thought it only belonged to /etc/nit.d/dm-crypt, which
58 is for baselayout 2. But I should have found it being used while editing
59 /lib/rcscripts/addons/dm-crypt-start.sh.
60
61 I think I will try that, then. With a little modification, I will try to add
62 a & after dm_crypt_execute_${SVCNAME}, so all LVMs will be opened in
63 parallel. Otherwise it takes a second for each LVM, and I have 12 of them.
64
65 Wonko