From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting everything
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 15:11:27
1 Am Samstag 04 Juli 2009 14:51:54 schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 > Dirk Heinrichs writes:
3 > >
4 > > having said that, you can even do w/o
5 > > initramfs, just put everything into /boot (which should be a separate
6 > > partition, then). Again, see my reply to David for the details.
7 >
8 > Interesting. Getting rid of initramfs looks like a simpler approach, no
9 > need to fiddle with cpio in order to change things.
10
11 Also with initramfs, you don't need to fiddle with cpio. The kernel build
12 system does this for you.
13
14 > I do not want to have to enter a password every time my machine boots, so
15 > I put the key onto a stick.
16
17 And how do you protect the key on the stick? What if you loose it?
18
19 > And simply made it the same for all
20 > partitions. And while I was at it, for maximum security, I also put /boot
21 > onto the stick. Sure, who would ever break into my house and modify my
22 > boot partition, replacing the kernel with kernel+keylogger or such... but
23 > then, I would probably also not need to encrypt my stuff at all.
24
25 Encryption doesn't protect a _running_ system, because then, all needed LVs
26 are readable. It only protects the system while switched of (so that an
27 attacker can not acces your data after stealing the entire system, or after
28 you sold your harddisk).
29
30 > > Then you did something wrong. It works out of the box.
31 >
32 > Really? I know it does for root and swap (it works here), but how do I
33 > tell the system to also luskOpen all my other LVM volumes?
34
35 By listing them in /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt.