From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rsync internal mirror configuration
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:34:17
1 Dave Nebinger <dnebinger <at> joat.com> writes:
4 Thanks for the scripts and help!
5
6 > > I'll take this under consideration. My purpose in extending automated
7 > > updates, is to be able to manage a large number of embedded gentoo
8 > > devices in the future. Roll-back and Recovery mechanism will be
9 > > added later. Besides Gentoo needs to leave the laboratory
10 > > (purvey of experts) and enter the world of normal humanoids. That will
11 > > force the Gentoo community to make Gentoo a commodity technology for
12 > > the world's normal folks.....gentoo's destiny in my opinion.
13
14 > Oh, I'd tend to disagree. Source-based distributions IMHO would be a huge
15 > pain in the neck for those responsible for a large number of systems. Twer
16 > it up to me I'd be using a binary-based distro such as suse or redhat; let
17 > them work out the kinks so I wouldn't have to.
18
19 > I prefer running gentoo because I have total control over the box. Downtime
20 > at home simply means I can't surf or receive email; it also means that I
21 > have some good old down and dirty work ahead to get the box back up, which I
22 > enjoy. It's also a hassle that only I have to deal with, not a whole floor
23 > of workers sitting idle waiting for the problem to be resolved.
24
25 > But to be an admin over an office full of gentoo systems? Not sure I'd like
26 > that or that they would pay me what it would take to keep it functional.
27 > Unless, of course, all systems were exactly the same (hardware and software
28 > installations) and the users had minimal permissions to the systems (i.e.
29 > they could only write files to their home directories and nowhere else on
30 > the system, including /tmp & /var/tmp).
31
32 Well, I do not think we disagree at all. I'm ramping up to support 5-15
33 gentoo user systems, to get some experience. My real goal is to learn
34 gentoo at a deeper level. When I roll out a new TCP/IP based data-logger
35 (hopefully this fall) it'll take sensor inputs and control a few outputs.
36 No humans will use the devices for anything other than interfacing
37 sensors and collecting data.
38
39 The experience I gain form helping kids/adults use Gentoo, will help me
40 manage thousands of dataloggers across public and private networks.
41 Besides if I screw it up, no big deal. They can always use a winblows
42 box until I get it fixed. Strict user control semantics will be
43 used to limit what they can screw up.
44
45 I'm also using jffnms to update and manage all sorts of routers and
46 industrial contols embedded devices. After some
47 time, I'm sure I'll roll my own solution, but for now, managing Gentoo
48 user systems and customizing JFFNMS for router and other snmp devices
49 is enough of to keep me busy.
50
51 Thanks again for all of your help!
52