From: Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: rsync internal mirror configuration
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:41:10
1 > > I've been considering adding an "emerge --fetchonly" line to the script
2 > but
3 > > don't yet have the warm and fuzzies about the http-replicator script.
4 >
5 > Yes, well I'm going to go slowly with this
6 > until I have the warm feeling and some
7 > happy experience over time.
8 > I'd be interested in keeping up with your scipt enhancements.
9 > If it's not too much trouble, when you are happy with
10 > some enhancements, send them to me for testing....
11
12 Sure, but I don't have any plans for updates in the near future. They all
13 seem to be functioning well enough for my intents and purposes.
14
15 > > They've been working out great for me. I've recently added a
16 > > 'revdep-rebuild' script so I can be reported of packages in need of
17 > fixing
18 > > (in case I miss the step manually).
19 >
20 > Can you send me a copy of that script or post it to this thread?
21
22 Sure. It's nothing fancy, but does the job. The biggest headache is the
23 gentoo script developers expectation that the only time you're going to call
24 their script is when you're sitting at a color-supporting terminal. When
25 trying to build an email message all of the color-coding crap still seeps
26 through. If I could get them to do anything it would be to add a common
27 "--nocolor" command line argument to disable that stuff.
28
29 cornholio ~ # cat bin/revdep.sh
30 #!/bin/sh
31 #
32 # revdep.sh Script to report on revdep/rebuild tasks.
33 #
34
35 # Remove existing files.
36 /bin/rm -f /root/.revdep* >> /var/log/revdep.log 2>&1
37
38 # Now do the revdep stuff
39 revdep-rebuild -p > /var/log/revdep.rpt 2>>/var/log/revdep.log
40
41 # now mail the report to root
42 strings /var/log/revdep.rpt > /var/log/revdep.txt
43 mail -s "Cornholio revdep report" root < /var/log/revdep.txt
44 2>>/var/log/revdep.log
45
46 cornholio ~ #
47
48 > > In your case I'd probably ensure the kids logins are typical user logins
49 > (no
50 > > update capability). Run the scripts (or similar scripts) to automate
51 > the
52 > > syncing and reporting. Keep ssh running on their systems. Hold off on
53 > > updates until they run into something that breaks or until a critical
54 > > package update is released. Then you can ssh in and emerge stuff until
55 > it
56 > > works.
57 >
58 > I'll take this under consideration. My purpose in extending automated
59 > updates, is to be able to manage a large number of embedded gentoo
60 > devices in the future. Roll-back and Recovery mechanism will be
61 > added later. Besides Gentoo needs to leave the laboratory
62 > (purvey of experts) and enter the world of normal humanoids. That will
63 > force the Gentoo community to make Gentoo a commodity technology for
64 > the world's normal folks.....gentoo's destiny in my opinion.
65
66 Oh, I'd tend to disagree. Source-based distributions IMHO would be a huge
67 pain in the neck for those responsible for a large number of systems. Twer
68 it up to me I'd be using a binary-based distro such as suse or redhat; let
69 them work out the kinks so I wouldn't have to.
70
71 I prefer running gentoo because I have total control over the box. Downtime
72 at home simply means I can't surf or receive email; it also means that I
73 have some good old down and dirty work ahead to get the box back up, which I
74 enjoy. It's also a hassle that only I have to deal with, not a whole floor
75 of workers sitting idle waiting for the problem to be resolved.
76
77 But to be an admin over an office full of gentoo systems? Not sure I'd like
78 that or that they would pay me what it would take to keep it functional.
79 Unless, of course, all systems were exactly the same (hardware and software
80 installations) and the users had minimal permissions to the systems (i.e.
81 they could only write files to their home directories and nowhere else on
82 the system, including /tmp & /var/tmp).
88 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list