From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rsync internal mirror configuration
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:10:53
1 Dave Nebinger <dnebinger <at> joat.com> writes:
4 > > OK but can't I do that with a simple mode to the /etc/crontab ?:
5 > > 30 1 * * * root emerge sync 2>&1
6
7 > Yes, but I do a little more in my script and want the pieces to be
8 > synchronized. As you saw in the script not only do I emerge sync but I also
9 > update the eix and esearch databases (both are cached package search/query
10 > tools that kick the crap out of "emerge --search").
11
12 I'm going to test your scripts and look at this for a while....
13
14 > I've been considering adding an "emerge --fetchonly" line to the script but
15 > don't yet have the warm and fuzzies about the http-replicator script.
16
17 Yes, well I'm going to go slowly with this
18 until I have the warm feeling and some
19 happy experience over time.
20 I'd be interested in keeping up with your scipt enhancements.
21 If it's not too much trouble, when you are happy with
22 some enhancements, send them to me for testing....
23
24 > > This script is for the internal rsync/replicator server?
25
26 > Runs on all of them. All of them need to sync and I like being able to
27 > query from whatever system I'm on.
28
29 Yea, I was not sure, but it makes
30 sense.
31
32 > > OK, the port has changed. What's the deal about that?
33
34 > Most local http daemons run on 8080 or 8088; I just didn't want to deal with
35 > conflicts so I chose my own number.
36
37 Yea, I might change the port number...if I see problems.
38
39 > > OK thanks for the script. I'll have to study it, test it and let you know
40 > > how it goes...
41
42 > They've been working out great for me. I've recently added a
43 > 'revdep-rebuild' script so I can be reported of packages in need of fixing
44 > (in case I miss the step manually).
45
46 Can you send me a copy of that script or post it to this thread?
49 > In your case I'd probably ensure the kids logins are typical user logins (no
50 > update capability). Run the scripts (or similar scripts) to automate the
51 > syncing and reporting. Keep ssh running on their systems. Hold off on
52 > updates until they run into something that breaks or until a critical
53 > package update is released. Then you can ssh in and emerge stuff until it
54 > works.
55
56 I'll take this under consideration. My purpose in extending automated
57 updates, is to be able to manage a large number of embedded gentoo
58 devices in the future. Roll-back and Recovery mechanism will be
59 added later. Besides Gentoo needs to leave the laboratory
60 (purvey of experts) and enter the world of normal humanoids. That will
61 force the Gentoo community to make Gentoo a commodity technology for
62 the world's normal folks.....gentoo's destiny in my opinion.
63
64 Using kids as experiments and developing baseline analysis semantics, is
65 of great fun... (Hell, that's what God gave them to us for: to
66 experiment with them and then explain where dad messed up and dad's
67 newest ideas.) Even their friends like the approach of experimental
68 parenting... Furthermore, as an engineer, I often tell my clients
69 that something works with the children or that children understand the
70 new technology, so maybe management can adapt too...)
71
72 YMMV
73
74 James