From: Jigme Datse <jigme.datse@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Movie editing softeware
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:47:30
1 On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 14:11:50 +0800
2 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3
4 > On 20/12/21 13:40, Andrew Lowe wrote:
5 > > On 20/12/21 11:17 am, William Kenworthy wrote:
6 > >> Hi, what is a usable piece of software in portage to do a quick
7 > >> edit of a movie? (cut start/end and maybe splice a bit in/out of
8 > >> the middle?)
9 > >>
10 > >> BillK
11 > >>
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >
15 > > How easy should it be? Won't ffmpeg allow you to do this type of
16 > > thing but you need to do a bit of work to get what you need - no
17 > > nice GUI?
18 > >
19 > >     Andrew
20 > >
21 > I am using ffmeg now to reduce the video size.  Its a Christmas
22 > message taken on a lumix camera that needs to be sent a few thousand
23 > km over what may be a flakey mobile link.  I just wanted something I
24 > can play a video, click on a point and delete everything before that.
25 > Same at the end.  Looking at kdelive its a stupidly complex program
26 > that has a steep learning curve to do the above.
27 >
28 > BillK
33 The one thing if you are wanting to reduce video size, after getting
34 something that is the "just the right bits" video, send it as a HEVC
35 encoded video. Generally it's h.264 once you have a "web" video, but I
36 have found I can reduce to 1/20 to 1/50 often taking that to HEVC for a
37 1080p video. And... You may not need/want it at that high a
38 resolution.