From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fsck check of /usr on a separate partition fails during boot
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 21:16:14
1 On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 14:57:59 -0600, John Johnson wrote:
2
3 > Shouldn't that be taken care of by the "/etc/fstab" entries?
4
5 Those say whether the filesystem should be checked, not when.
6
7 > Obviously, if "/usr" is on a separate partition, it needs to be mounted
8 > at the time when "/usr/sbin/fsck" is expected to be present.
9
10 fsck is in /sbin, but that's not the point. If you have an initramfs,
11 fsck should be in it and run before /usr is mounted rw, which means it
12 has to be done by the initramfs. It's too late to do it when control has
13 been handed over because then /usr is already mounted rw.
16 > On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 2:54 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>