From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fsck check of /usr on a separate partition fails during boot
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 21:22:04
1 On 13/01/2018 23:16, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 14:57:59 -0600, John Johnson wrote:
3 >
4 >> Shouldn't that be taken care of by the "/etc/fstab" entries?
5 >
6 > Those say whether the filesystem should be checked, not when.
7 >
8 >> Obviously, if "/usr" is on a separate partition, it needs to be mounted
9 >> at the time when "/usr/sbin/fsck" is expected to be present.
10 >
11 > fsck is in /sbin, but that's not the point. If you have an initramfs,
12 > fsck should be in it and run before /usr is mounted rw, which means it
13 > has to be done by the initramfs. It's too late to do it when control has
14 > been handed over because then /usr is already mounted rw.
17 So what does the dirty check and fsck of / ?
18
19 I don't have an initramfs, I don't have a separate /usr, I run OpenRC
20 and the kernel command line says where / is for mounting
24 Alan McKinnon
25 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com