From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fsck check of /usr on a separate partition fails during boot
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 21:49:37
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 13/01/2018 23:16, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 14:57:59 -0600, John Johnson wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Shouldn't that be taken care of by the "/etc/fstab" entries?
6 >> Those say whether the filesystem should be checked, not when.
7 >>
8 >>> Obviously, if "/usr" is on a separate partition, it needs to be mounted
9 >>> at the time when "/usr/sbin/fsck" is expected to be present.
10 >> fsck is in /sbin, but that's not the point. If you have an initramfs,
11 >> fsck should be in it and run before /usr is mounted rw, which means it
12 >> has to be done by the initramfs. It's too late to do it when control has
13 >> been handed over because then /usr is already mounted rw.
14 >
15 > So what does the dirty check and fsck of / ?
16 >
17 > I don't have an initramfs, I don't have a separate /usr, I run OpenRC
18 > and the kernel command line says where / is for mounting
23 I think without a init thingy, it mounts / ro at first, runs the checks
24 and then remounts rw.  I think it does the same with /usr.  I'm not sure
25 what decides that tho.
26
27 The last I rebooted, the checks are done within the init thingy for /
28 and /usr, while mounted ro of course.  Once / and /usr are in the clear,
29 it swaps from the init thingy and the normal kernel/OS boot starts.  I
30 think it checks /home after the init thingy is gone.  I think.  It's
31 been a while since I rebooted.  167 days so far.  The power company is
32 doing a good job of keeping our power going.
33
34 If I ever redo my setup, /usr will be on / and hopefully no init
35 thingy.  With drives and file systems like they are now, it's just not
36 worth the trouble.
37
38 Dale
39