From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fsck check of /usr on a separate partition fails during boot
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 23:36:50
1 On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 23:16:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 13/01/2018 23:16, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 14:57:59 -0600, John Johnson wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> Shouldn't that be taken care of by the "/etc/fstab" entries?
7 > >
8 > > Those say whether the filesystem should be checked, not when.
9 > >
10 > >> Obviously, if "/usr" is on a separate partition, it needs to be
11 > >> mounted at the time when "/usr/sbin/fsck" is expected to be
12 > >> present.
13 > >
14 > > fsck is in /sbin, but that's not the point. If you have an initramfs,
15 > > fsck should be in it and run before /usr is mounted rw, which means it
16 > > has to be done by the initramfs. It's too late to do it when control
17 > > has been handed over because then /usr is already mounted rw.
20 > So what does the dirty check and fsck of / ?
21
22 OpenRC AFAIK.
23
24 > I don't have an initramfs, I don't have a separate /usr,
25
26 You need an initramfs and a separate /usr to experience this problem. You
27 have neither so you have avoided it twice, well done :-)
28
29 On systems where I have both, I also have a filesystem that does not use
30 fsck, which is a third way of avoiding the issue.
31
32 > I run OpenRC and the kernel command line says where / is for mounting
33
34 And the kernel mounts it ro, openrc remounts/ rw later on. It seems the
35 problem here is the initramfs mounting /usr rw before the attemt to run
36 fsck. If I felt like finger-pointing, I'd be tempted to point at the
37 initramfs.
41 Neil Bothwick
42
43 Windows to 486/50 mhz cpu: Don't rush me, don't rush me...