From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Xorg upgrade problem
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:03:16
1 On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 18:21:11 -0700
2 walt wrote:
3
4 > On 10/05/2009 05:30 PM, David Relson wrote:
5 >
6 > > ...As it
7 > > happens, I logged out yesterday and logged back in and now have the
8 > > higher resolution I wanted. 'Tis all very peculiar.
9 >
10 > (Doing my part to lower the signal-to-noise ratio ;o)
11 >
12 > I've noticed in the past month or three that when I reboot the machine
13 > or even just restart X for some reason, very rarely the the X server
14 > starts with the wrong screen resolution(!).
15 >
16 > All I need to do to fix the resolution problem is to log out of the X
17 > session and restart X.
18 >
19 > At this point I am firmly convinced that sunspots and/or cosmic rays
20 > are flipping random bits in my machine's memory. Although there are
21 > no other random flakey events that would suggest hardware failure.
22 >
23 > I'm mystified -- but at least the workaround is trivial, and the box
24 > is rock solid until the next time it happens.
25
26 A nice workaround. The tip is appreciated :->