From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xorg upgrade problem
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 01:21:46
1 On 10/05/2009 05:30 PM, David Relson wrote:
2
3 > ...As it
4 > happens, I logged out yesterday and logged back in and now have the
5 > higher resolution I wanted. 'Tis all very peculiar.
6
7 (Doing my part to lower the signal-to-noise ratio ;o)
8
9 I've noticed in the past month or three that when I reboot the machine
10 or even just restart X for some reason, very rarely the the X server
11 starts with the wrong screen resolution(!).
12
13 All I need to do to fix the resolution problem is to log out of the X
14 session and restart X.
15
16 At this point I am firmly convinced that sunspots and/or cosmic rays
17 are flipping random bits in my machine's memory. Although there are
18 no other random flakey events that would suggest hardware failure.
19
20 I'm mystified -- but at least the workaround is trivial, and the box
21 is rock solid until the next time it happens.