From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Hardware Problems causing kernel panics during large compiles
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 01:53:24
1 Jason Weisberger wrote:
2 >
3 > Oh yeah, I hear you on the head scratching, believe me.
4 >
5 > Well so far on the built in card I have managed to compile chromium
6 > -j5, which i couldn't do for the two weeks prior. Same build, so i
7 > know it wasn't an upstream or ebuild problem. Damn.
8 >
9 > Next step is to get X running again and do it one more time.
10 >
11 > Last thing i want to do is go from a 9800gt to an integrated 3300, but
12 > i suppose it's better than nothing. At least i had something to test on.
15 Try a different version of the driver. Maybe that specific version has
16 a bug in it. If you run stable, try a unstable version. If you run
17 unstable, try a stable one. Worth a shot.
18
19 While at it, blow some air on it too. Check all the contacts or as I
20 do, use a pencil eraser and rub on it a couple times. Makes it shiney
21 then try again. Wouldn't hurt to blow down in the connector on the mobo
22 either. Spec of dust in the wrong place can cause weird things.
23
24 When falling off cliff, grab all the straws you can. ;-)
25
26 Dale
27
31 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
32
33 Miss the compile output? Hint:
34 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"