From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox and VPN, plus security in generla
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 23:49:39
1 On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 5:57 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > So, my first question,
5 > does that work and does it require the site on the other end to have it
6 > set up as well? Bonus question, is it easy to use on any site if it
7 > doesn't require the other end to use it? I'm thinking of using this for
8 > my banking/financial sites as well if it is a good idea.
11 A VPN doesn't need any site you access to be set up. You tunnel all of
12 your connections through another network.
13
14 > I'm not interested in a NSA based hardened install here, just reasonably
15 > secure.
18 You're probably more secure than your bank by virtue of caring. Using
19 a VPN for security isn't really a good idea; what is more important is
20 two-factor authentication (which your institution has to offer) and
21 reasonable passwords.
22
23 I recently had some huge shitshow with what was my financial
24 institution. I had to dispute charges coming from Google which I
25 hadn't authorized, and some from Amazon when they wouldn't uphold
26 their return policy. They claimed to have filed legal paperwork, but
27 still tried to place the blame on me (the accounts are now useless -
28 no debit cards). I'd never lost the card and they remained on my
29 person, so gg bank it's either your fault or Google's.
30
31 Anecdote included as a reminder that regardless of how secure *you*
32 are, the world will still blame you for their problems.