From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Firefox and VPN, plus security in generla
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 22:57:28
1 Howdy,
2
3 I ran up on a video website that had some info on it. I found it
4 interesting and was curious about what it said and another question I
5 been wondering about. It mentioned using a VPN so that the NSA, my ISP
6 and others couldn't "see" what was going on. So, my first question,
7 does that work and does it require the site on the other end to have it
8 set up as well? Bonus question, is it easy to use on any site if it
9 doesn't require the other end to use it? I'm thinking of using this for
10 my banking/financial sites as well if it is a good idea.
11
12 This is something I been wondering about and I've seen a few posts here
13 that bump around the edges of this question. As most here know, I use
14 Gentoo. It's a older install but I keep it up to date. I sit behind a
15 DSL modem, a older Westell one, and a Linksys router, the old blue nosed
16 one. Neither modem or router has wireless stuff included. Is that
17 hardware and my Gentoo install pretty secure for most hackers? In other
18 words, since I don't keep the formula to run car/truck engines on water
19 here, would this stop most since there is nothing worth stealing here?
20 I'm not interested in a NSA based hardened install here, just reasonably
21 secure.
22
23 Basically, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm reasonably secure here.
24
25 Dale
26