From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox and VPN, plus security in generla
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 04:46:52
1 On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Howdy,
4 >
5 > I ran up on a video website that had some info on it. I found it
6 > interesting and was curious about what it said and another question I
7 > been wondering about. It mentioned using a VPN so that the NSA, my ISP
8 > and others couldn't "see" what was going on. So, my first question,
9 > does that work and does it require the site on the other end to have it
10 > set up as well? Bonus question, is it easy to use on any site if it
11 > doesn't require the other end to use it? I'm thinking of using this for
12 > my banking/financial sites as well if it is a good idea.
15 Firstly I suggest you dont consider the NSA your adversary, because;
16 1. They're probably not interested in you
17 2. If they are interested in you, just adding a VPN is not going to make
18 much difference.
19
20 So lets just consider an employee at your ISP.
21
22 There's typically no need to use a VPN when accessing an HTTPS website, as
23 the SSL/TLS already provides most of the privacy that a VPN would supply.
24 The extra that the VPN gives you in this case is to hide which websites
25 you're visiting. So the data is protected in both instances, but the VPN
26 also hides the connection metadata. So if you use just SSL/TLS then your
27 ISP can deduce which bank you have an account with. If you use the VPN as
28 well, then cant even tell that.
29
30 There are issues with SSL/TLS that could allow someone in the path between
31 you and the bank to decrypt your traffic, and if they can do that they
32 would be able to log into your account if the bank uses simple
33 password/passphrase style auth. The two main SSL/TLS issues are;
34 1. Improperly issued certificates
35 2. Older/weaker crypto
36
37 The trust system around certificates can be summarised as "you trust any
38 certificate as much as you trust the least trustworthy certificate
39 authority in your trusted certificate store". Your browser ships with many
40 CA certificates in its trusted certificate store. Any of these CAs can
41 issue cryptographically valid certificates for any domain. So, if I manage
42 to fool a CA that I am bigbank.com then i can buy a certificate to
43 bigbank.com. Or, I can just find a staff member of a CA in a very poor
44 country and offer them a big bag of sweet cash to have them issue the
45 certificate for me. Certificate pinning reduces this exposure significantly
46 so use a browser that supports it like chrome or firefox.
47
48 Weak crypto? Turn off all SSL, TLS 1.0 and 1.1 in the browser, and disable
49 RC4 crypto. That might block you out of some sites with weak crypto that
50 you may still want to use. Assuming your bank has good crypto, use chrome
51 or firefox with the weak crypto disabled for your banking, and another
52 browser for everything else.
53
54 This is something I been wondering about and I've seen a few posts here
55 > that bump around the edges of this question. As most here know, I use
56 > Gentoo. It's a older install but I keep it up to date. I sit behind a
57 > DSL modem, a older Westell one, and a Linksys router, the old blue nosed
58 > one. Neither modem or router has wireless stuff included. Is that
59 > hardware and my Gentoo install pretty secure for most hackers?
62 If one of those devices is PATing your IP, then that effectively blocks all
63 inbound sessions, so it will prevent anyone on the internet scanning your
64 system, and attempting inbound connections. This makes you much more
65 secure.
66
67 If there's no PAT, then you need to turn off all unneeded network services
68 (use netstat to show what ports are open), and harden any services you
69 leave on. For example, you could run sshd with only the stricter crypto
70 enabled (this stops most bots as they havent implemented those functions),
71 and run fail2ban to lock out any IPs that are running password guessing
72 attacks.
75 > In other
76 > words, since I don't keep the formula to run car/truck engines on water
77 > here, would this stop most since there is nothing worth stealing here?
78 > I'm not interested in a NSA based hardened install here, just reasonably
79 > secure.
82 Ok - ignore previous comment on NSA :)
85 > Basically, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm reasonably secure here.
88 With regular patching and the above, you should be in pretty good shape.
89 Next step after that would probably be to look at gcc's stack protector. In
90 gcc 4.9.0+ -fstack-protector-strong is enabled by default. And in the
91 kernel .config set CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG=y.
92
93 Then after that take a look at hardened sources and PaX (still on my todo
94 list)