From: Jeff Grossman <jeff@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Slots
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:29:24
1 Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 >On 11/26/05, Jeff Grossman <jeff@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I have just realized about programs that can be installed in slots.
5 >> Is there a way for me to find out what programs are installed in more
6 >> than one slot on my computer? Can I tell if a particular program in a
7 >> slot is still needed?
8 >
9 >"emerge --prune --pretend world" will tell you all packages that have
10 >more than one version installed (ie. slotted).
11 >
12 >As for finding out whether a particular version of a slotted package
13 >is still needed or not, well, you could do:
14 >
15 >emerge --prune <pkg>
16 >emerge -Dv world
17 >revdep-rebuild
18 >
19 >But the above is a bit dangerous, and could break your system. Be careful.
20
21 Thanks for the information. That is one are where I think Gentoo can
22 definitely improve. Making it so you can tell if removing a package
23 will kill anything. I would imagine this is probably not an easy task
24 though.
25
26 Jeff
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list